Sunday, March 10, 2013

Fluency Builders and Caring for Cole

Like many of you I have a group of students that are struggling to catch up.  I have tried so many things to build their sight word knowledge and fluency and then I found this ...
Sight Word Fluency Passages for Reading Intervention by Christina over at Second Grade Sugar and Spice.

I decided to use it with this particular group at the beginning of each of their guided reading sessions. 

Here's how it works:

First, I review the targeted sight words. In this case it was said, use and there. Then, the student finds the words in a 'word hunt'. They LOVE using highlighters, but crayons work too. You'll notice on the page that there are 'growing sentences'. The student reads each of the phrases and when they get to the end of the phrases they color one of the happy faces. 
 Sometimes I have them use sound phones while I am working with one of the other students. (What did I do before I purchased those????)
I have each student in the group working on a different page.  This adds variety to the group and they can listen to each other read without memorizing what the said and just repeating it.
As a bonus there are even pre and post assessment pages included and a teacher tracking page.

For my own use I copied the pages I wanted for the next few weeks and prepared this supply teacher directions page ... because you just never know.  I put it in my group guided reading bin and now it's ready to go.
 If you would like to read more about this product head on over to Second Grade Sugar and Spice.  you won't be disappointed!  I couldn't help but notice this is Pack #1 - I'll be anxiously awaiting the sequel!

On another note, Karla over at Life in Special Education has put together an AMAZING collection of "Tried and True" resources.  There are over $160.00 worth of resources that can be yours for a $25 donation.  All proceeds will be used to help a young boy named Cole, the son of a teacher who is putting up a courageous fight against brain cancer.  You can read more about Cole by clicking on the picture.
Please consider helping Cole and his family.

1 comment:

  1. Herpes is a serious and recurrent condition that cannot be cured by drugs or injections by US doctors, but the best way to fight against herpes is to take natural herbal remedies, I red about DR JAMES, the great herbalist who cures people of herpes  virus with his powerful herbal medicine. I contacted him to find out how he could help me and he told me never to be afraid that he would help me with the natural herbs medicine! After 2 days of contacting him he told me the medicine is ready and he sent it to me via DHL COURIER SERVICE and it got me in 3 days! I used the medication as he prescribed for me (MORNING and EVENING) and was cured! It's really like a dream, but I'm so happy! For people suffering from the following diseases,Shingles,MS,Bullous Pemphigoid,Diabetes, cancer,Pcos, hypothyroidism, Herpes, COPD, HIV, arthritis, Hpv, infections, liver disease, autoimmune diseases, Parkinson's disease, Lupus and more should contact him for his herbal medicine, because I am a living witness and I was cured of herpes virus. and DR James medicine is legitimate. I sent him what he asked for and he sent me his medication which I took for 2 weeks and today I am here with a negative result. When I went for the test, I was so happy after I took his herbal mix medicine.CONTACT DR JAMES FOR A PERMANENT CURE  Email: drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete